In 2022, the way watches with tourbillon are made will have changed drastically. Here's what you can expect from these kinds of watches in the coming year.
Types of Watch Movements
Watches with a tourbillon are some of the top watches available on the market. They are known for their intricate designs and high quality. In 2022, we expect to see even more cool watches with a tourbillon. Some of the gool watches with tourbillon will likely come from big corporates who can afford to invest in research and development. However, small, independent watchmakers will also have some good options.
One of the most excellent watches with a tourbillon will likely be a collaboration between Greubel Forsey and Jean-Claude Biver. The idea came from Jean-Claude's desire to make a super slim watch with a tourbillon. The problem is that because the weight of the components needs to be distributed evenly, it would have been impossible for any company to build it this way. That was until he reached out to Stephen Forsey, who had already been experimenting with different case materials and methods which solved all his problems. It's not clear yet when these two companies will release these innovative watches, but they're expected to be pretty pricey.
If you want something less expensive without sacrificing quality, wait until 2020, when Swiss manufacturer Oris unveils its new Galante Watch family. There'll be eight models with different complications and starting prices ranging from 2k USD for a non-tourbillon model up to 100k USD for the one with both tourbillon and perpetual calendar.
Best Tourbillon Watches Available Now
If you're looking for a high-end watch with a tourbillon complication, plenty of great options are available now. Here are some of the best tourbillon watches you can now buy from top brands like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet, and Patek Philippe.
- AN L2.670.4 ROSE GOLD MEN'S TOURBILLON WATCH - $847,900
- Jaeger-LeCoultre- Reverso Platinum 5968 - $1,000,000
- Audemars Piguet - Royal Oak Offshore Carbon Royal Blue Dial Giga Tourbillon Limited Edition - $449,000
- Patek Philippe Men's Calatrava Ref. 5196R-001 Rose Gold Watch - $36,200
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer 44mm Automatic 42 Diving Watch (44 mm) - €6,800;
- Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller Deepsea 136660 Black Bezel Watch - $26,750
Best Tourbillon Watches Coming Soon
Some really cool tourbillon watches are coming out in the next few years. Here are some of the best ones to keep an eye out for:
- Lange & Sohne Grand Complication Platinum
- Lange & Sohne Grande Complication Skeleton Tourbillon
- IWC Portuguese Yacht Club Power Reserve Tourbillon
- Patek Philippe Ref. 6105G Annual Calendar Perpetual Calendar Minute Repeater Tourbillon, produced in a limited edition of six pieces, is priced at US$340,000.5270R-001 and comes with a platinum case and has four interchangeable straps, including alligator leather, rubber, and nylon fabric straps, and a bracelet strap. The timepiece is priced at US$150,000.
Top 5 Best Designed Tourbillons
In no particular order, the top 3 best-designed tourbillons will impress anyone who sees them.
- The A. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk Minute Repeater is a work of art. The German watchmaking company is known for its attention to detail, and this watch is no exception. The minute repeater is activated by a slide on the side of the case, and the time is displayed on two rotating discs. One disc shows hours and minutes, while the other displays seconds. When the repeater is active, one hears bells chiming in tune with what one reads on the dials. The elegant hands and hour markers are covered in luminescent material so they can be seen at night or during low-light conditions.
- Cartier has been making watches since 1847, and it's still going strong! The Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Mysterious Hour Skeleton was created in 2013 as part of their Mysterious Collection. It has an open-worked movement, which means you can see the different parts working together when looking through the front sapphire crystal caseback window. Additionally, the unusual octagonal shape makes this watch stand out from others. Not only does it clearly display time, but it also features complications such as power reserve indicator, date indicator, and moon phase indicator.
- Another beautiful design comes from Audemars Piguet. Its Jules Audemars Extra-Thin has always been applauded for its thinness and elegance, thanks to a cleverly hidden dial construction mechanism and exquisite craftsmanship.
Best Affordable Options
There are several ways to get a good tourbillon watch without spending a fortune. One option is to look for top watches with a tourbillon that are being sold by big corporates. Another option is to buy an excellent eye with a tourbillon pre-owned. Best of all, shopping online lets you find great deals on good looks with a tourbillon. Just be sure to do your research before making any final decisions.
We recommend reading reviews about the best watches with tourbillon and checking out the price ranges and styles available. You don't want to spend too much money if you're unsure how much use you'll get out of the timepiece. If you know what you want but aren't looking to break the bank, we recommend looking at top watches with tourbillon made within the last two years. If this doesn't sound like something worth doing for you, we suggest buying good watches with a tourbillon that have been pre-owned and had minor wear or tear.